Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. Not in the UK it isn't, but in the rest of the world.

Today should feel like any other but it doesn't. The sun, gloriously refulgent, hovers above us like a giant golden discoball. Is it me or does it seem particularly radiant today?

I wake up to excited hollers from Hubs and Cheeks wishing me a Happy Mother's Day. They look eager to be on their best behaviour. I stifle a chortle as Dee announces (rather imperiously) he will dress Cheeks and get her ready ALL BY HIMSELF as is MY day. I pretend to be blasé by this declaration but quickly pick up my dislocated jaw from off the floor when he's not looking.

I watch them as they brush their teeth together in the bathroom. I try not to supervise but I can't help myself. I help Cheeks with her upper row of teeth.

I glance quickly at my mobile and realise, hey! I have text messages from Mabes, Chi and Clara! They leave lovely well-wishes. Bless their sweet souls.

In an unpremeditated move, Cheeks and I both don ourselves in red. We look extremely festive - perfect hues to usher in the beautiful arrival of Spring. I'd say it's about friggin' time!?

We strike a sunny pose with our sunnies. Heh.

We mosey along to Tesco. On the way, I note how everyone seems to be clad in Primark? Maybe it's a south-west thing. Could people on this side of the river be more frugal?

We amble up and down the supermarket aisles picking up this and that as we go along. Then, as if by sheer magnetic force, the Sizeable One draws me steadily towards the Cakes/Confectionery section and wills me to pick out a chocolate cake from 'Tesco's Finest'. I am powerless against its hypnotic chants and have no choice but to submit to its demands.

Then, on a whim, I pick out a teabag holder. It has polka dots on it...

Back home, I make us 'lunner' (a cross between lunch + dinner?) - baked seafood pasta and erm, boiled frozen mixed veggies. 'Tis my weak attempt at adding some greens to the meal. Despite the short cuts, Hubs and Cheeks let out squeals of gratitude. I feel mildly like I'm distributing army rations to starving soldiers.

We sip wine and nibble on mini cornichons throughout lunner. I put on the movie soundtrack for 'Sleepless in Seattle' and get all fuzzy wuzzy. I love old standards.

After lunch, I do the ironing. I try on my new LBD from SJP's 'BITTEN' clothing line, a fantastic bargain I picked up while in New York. Cheeks pipes, 'I like your dress, Mummy.'

Before long, Sizeable One itches for cake. I'm asked to stay in our room while Hubs and Cheeks 'set up'. When they're ready, I'm led to the living room where the chocolate cake has been lighted with one, single candle. They cheer and clap enthusiastically as I blow out the flame.

Cheeks hands me her handmade 'card' (photo to be uploaded later), gives me a cuddle and a kiss and tells me I love you, Mummy. Hubs floors me with his well thought of gift.

how wonderfully appropriate...

It's Mother's Day today. But somehow it feels more like my birthday. I've been pampered. I am loved. I am on the top of the world.

All these for simply being a Mum? I could get used to it.

1 comment:

Roslyn said...

Awwwwww! No one wished me Happy MOther's Day here in UK since we celebrated it in March. Only my mum and mil did when I rang them up to them greetings. Glad you had a great day! Love that teapot set!