Monday, February 11, 2008

Shaky CNY Part II

Despite the frayed nerves and fretful thoughts of a (possible) burlesque performance, the session at Cheek's nursery went great.

The day saw me spending the afternoon with the children from Danielle's frontclass (a total of 22 kids). Besides leading in origami fish, I was also asked to read a CNY story ('Ling's Chinese New Year' from the nursery's library). These went off without a hitch.

The school wanted to show the children how to hold chopsticks as part of their CNY activities. They'd prepared boiled noodles for the occasion and asked if I could do a demo. Which, I had no choice but to. So as best I could, I showed the kids the right method. I'd brought Cheek's training ones along , just in case, and it ended up being a huge hit with the kids. They thrilled at how deftly they were able to pick up the noodles using those, compared to the fiddly grownup ones.

I also taught them how to say 'Gong Xi Gong Xi' which they belted out enthusiastically whilst passing mandarins to each other (I made them do this in a circle so the children passed mandarins to each other while piping the greeting). I explained the significance of ang pow giving, showed them pictures of Singapore's CNY night market, and listed different new year goodies that were consumed during the festival etc.

I was fortunate the session went well. The children were very involved, asked loads of questions, and were more attentive than I had expected them to be.

Cheeks seemed rather puffed-up by my visit, which, was kind of expected, I suppose. She stuck close to me, smugly 'reminding' her little friends at intervals that I was 'her mummy'. I had to hold myself back from being her mummy at certain points though - reigned myself in from chiding her infront of her friends when I saw her do things that would otherwise have riled me at home.

Suffice to say, it was a wonderful experience - talking and interacting with Cheek's schoolmates, gathering insights to their wonderfully diverse personalities, picking subtle charateristics through their words/actions. Some children stuck out more than others, of course. And my favourites, if I may be allowed to reveal them here, were: Maddie (for being exceedingly precocious), Venus (for being the most inquisitive and enthusiastic) and lastly, sweet 4YO Poppy (for simply being a darling and the only girl to choose baby blue origami paper.)

the school dedicated 2 whole boards to
Chinese New Year


this side of the board shows the activities I did with the kids last Thurs.

A close up.
In this pix : Cheeks, Hannah, Sebestian & Boyd

my 15 minutes of 'fame' ;P

3 comments:

Pooh said...

Bravo! Great job!

Daughter Of Sarah said...

YAY-ness! I knew you'd be the darling of the little ones. =)

Unknown said...

you're like, MADE for occasions like this!